Tuesday 1 November 2011

Waterstones research

My Occupation was that of an author and so researching Waterstones advertising and promotion seemed particularly relevant to my project. Posters for the actual shop came to my head first and seemed like a good place to start, within my final piece I hope to be able to either promote a book shop or advertise and event such as a book signing.
 
The Waterstones logo is simple and easily legible, the typeface is recognisable and looks professional but not serious, it is approachable to all ages and due to its serifs it has a "classic" look to it. 



These posters really stood out to me as being quirky and original, they are both made up of books and the imagery especially on the image on the left is really clever, it shows a city skyline made up of books, as if to  say, even if the city is overwhelming and busy there is still time to read books. The other is also very clever, the fact that the image consists of a wall of bricks instantly suggests library or book shop to me personally. the images both play with words and that is what makes them interesting.

After looking at Waterstones advertising posters and Promotions I then looked into their Window displays, they are always intreging to me, as they they are quite often scenes from a book or illustrations from inside the book, this is particularly true of children's books and even more so around special times of the year such as Christmas and Easter when book shop try to sell on occation.
 This window display was one of my favourites, it was a display from Christmas 2009 the Type has been wrapped up in stripes in order to make it look like sticks of candy and the colours and red and Green which are both Christmas colours, similar to the one below.






 This Window display below also really caught my eye, the colours used are really interesting in the sense that each Poster has its own set of books below it, as well as an image which doesn't give much away, it makes me want to buy the book, or at least find out what is is about.


 From looking at window displays I have discovered that I would like to do something to do with advertising for my Final piece. Maybe linked to Waterstones or another book shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment